The Monitor Corps scoutship Torrance was engaged on a mission which
was both highly important and deadly dull.
M.C.S. Torrance, while mapping the many three-dimensional balnks
in Federation star-charts, pops out of hyperspace near a big, sick
. . . Spacebird. With great difficulty, major Madden ‘hightails’
it for Sector General. “A strange – and perhaps
deadly – rash that covered its body may well have caused the
creature’s companions to abandon their helpless friend”
(blurb). The dirty birds. Rick Sternbach’s cover illustration
for Futures Past (Ballantine edition) sets the scene perfectly.
Just like my favourite Mystery in Space action shot, by Mike Sekowski.
Attack on Fort Satellite: Wernher von Braun space-wheel under raygun-fire
from space-suited ‘Greenskins’ riding iron-horse thingies.
How sad, too bad, never mind.
Synopsis by Graham Andrews
- NEW WRITING IN SF No 22, ed Ken Bulmer, Sidgewick &
Jackson, March 1973
- NEW WRITINGS IN SF 22, Corgi PB, April 1974
- NEW WRITINGS IN SF SPECIAL ONE, ed Carnell & Bulmer, omnibus
edition of NW IN SF Nos 21-22--23, Sidgewick & Jackson,
- Futures Past (see under Books)
- Ambulance Ship (Corgi edition only).
- NORCON 11 Programme Booklet, Norwegian National SF
Convention, Oslo, 8/8/92 Guest of Honour contribution translated